Friday, February 29, 2008

Coffee Rings, Boy Scouts, and Old Moss

Sorry I have been posting less frequently this week. My cup runneth over. So much so, in fact, there are new coffee rings on the newspaper of my life. The ring I am most excited about are my plans to go camping with D and his new Boy Scout troop. I'm looking forward to having some one-on-one time with him, watching him grow in responsibility and character, and building ridiculously large campfires. Last night M and I were waxing nostalgic and thumbing through my old Scouting Handbook. My handbook had been given to me as an award at one of my very first scout meetings. The inscription reads:

Winner of Uniform Inspection
Troop 283
February 19, 1979

That's 29 years ago this month! And if that didn't make me feel old enough, I spent over an hour filling out forms so D and I could join the troop. It turns out, if Dad is over 40 years old, he has to get his doctor to sign off on his medical questionnaire. Ouch! Apparently I'm on the mossy side of that tetragenarian milestone.

So I have decided to start expressing my age in a different numbers system to deny reality a little bit longer. Let's see, how about the binary number system, base-2 instead of base-10? That would be 101000. No, that sounds worse. How about hexadecimal, base-16? In hex, I am 28! Ahh... I feel better already.

1 comment:

Grafted Branch said...

Ah, 40...a stone's throw from where I am this evening. And let's face it, things start changing as we approach the milestone. Like it or deny it--it seems true to me.

We are now the grown ups. *whimper* Wah wah wah wah wah!

Ugh.