Sunday, February 24, 2008

Mr. Green Jeans

One Saturday last spring, M and the boys returned from Wal-Mart with a couple of vegetable plants; one was a jalapeño pepper and the other was an eggplant plant. Eggplant plant? Why do we call it eggplant anyway? Aren't all vegetables plants? Isn't this a bit redundant and saying the same thing over and over? To highlight this oddity of the English language, I have decided that this week I am going to start speaking of all foods in this way.

To the waitress: "To start, I'll have a lettuce plant salad with ranch plant on the side, and for my entrée I would like the pork chop animal with a side of carrot plants."

To me: "OK, fine, that'll be ten dollar monies, weirdo person."

It reminds me of how the boys used to say things like "I would like to play golf ball." Why not? We play baseball with a baseball. We play basketball with a basketball. What do you do with a golf ball? Play golf ball of course! Duh!

Well, if it isn't obvious to you by now, I really don't have anything to say today. But "Blogging for Dummies" says I should post regularly so all my readers will keep coming back. So there you go. Good night to both of you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey, i count at least 3... ;)