Thursday, May 8, 2008

Boxing Day (or Schrödinger's Cat)

Henry the cat is one funny animal. Yesterday he found this empty box and crawled inside. The boys would stick their fingers in the openings and he would attack them. The game was to see if you could pull your hand out fast enough! It was like a game of feline Russian Roulette. The boys were laughing so hard! I love to hear them belly laugh from another room in the house.When he gets wound up like this, he will claw you to the point of bringing blood. But he's a good cat, and he knows when the game is over. He won't hurt you if he can see that the hand belongs to you. But if he thinks your hand is a little mousey critter, his hunter instincts kick in.

(Click here for more information on the paradox of Schrödinger's Cat.)

I think I live in a box sometimes. My perception of what is significant or threatening is sometimes skewed. Do I trust the hand of my owner, or do I view it as something to be defended against?

This analogy is theologically poor. I don't think God plays games with us, belly laughing at our attacks on his wiggling, mocking fingers.

Wake up Henry, the Matrix has you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious! I love hearing people, especially kids, genuinely laugh at something! One of my favorite things...

Have a wonderful day!

Redlefty said...

My momma always said life is like a box of Diet Coke.

Hat said...

I love cats. They're really delightfully weird creatures.
I think God only pokes at us when he's trying to point us straight.

...I've only read Ender's Shadow (the first in the Bean series), and it was great. But the Ender's Quartet (Ender's Game, Xenocide, Children of the Mind, Speaker for the Dead) are fabulous. I'm going to be getting my hands on the Bean/Hegemon books sooner or later..

ArtPropelled said...

Love that cat! LOL! A cat and a container can give endless hours of entertainment.