Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Father's Day Pupusas

The family wanted to take me out for dinner for Father's Day. They asked me where I wanted to go, and after a minute I remembered the perfect place.  There's a little hole-in-the-wall restaurant called Rinconcito Salvadoreño (which means Salvadoran Corner) that makes a characteristically Savladoran dish called "pupusas".  I have been in love with pupusas since I first had them in Honduras in 2007. Sometimes I wonder why they haven't caught on at more restaurants in the US. Why aren't there Tex-Mex pupusas? Why aren't there ninety nine cent pupusas on the Taco Bell value menu? But then I remember that their name sounds like poopoo. That's a marketing problem in need of a solution.

The place reminded me of Honduras in so many ways.  I had to break out the camera and snap a few pictures.

[We were the only people there at 5:00 PM so we got the one table in the shade! The mixed chair styles and plates were characteristically Central American. Notice the plastic chairs and Jono's leather office chair!]

[They put the good sign toward the oncoming traffic, but I like this one best.] 

[The menu, as if you would want anything besides pupusas.]

[And this is a pupusa! Wikipedia says that a pupusa is "made of thick, hand-made corn tortilla that is usually filled with a blend of the following: queso (cheese), frijoles (beans), and chicharrón. Pupusas are typically served with curtido (lightly fermented cabbage slaw with red chilies and vinegar) and a watery tomato salsa."]

[This is my half-eaten pupusa, along with a healthy helping of curtido and a watery tomato salsa.  Delicioso!]

[The thermostat in the car said it was 107 that day.]

[The owner, a Salvadoran man, decided to make me a complementary bananas foster for us with Bacardi rum and Sunny D, of course.  It was exciting. There was fire.]


A soccer (fútbol) game blared loudly on the television. It was El Salvador vs. Panama.  In addition to this, there was music playing, also loudly. The whole experience was a ton of fun and reminded me of being in Honduras.  We all had lots of laughs and good food, even if it did sound like poopoo.

3 comments:

Kingdomseeking said...

Dear Orangehouse,
I just HAD to come to your blog after you defended me w/ such *chivalry* on the v.w.m. blog.
Now, look what I found; a witty engineer! I am married to a hydro-geologist, so I think you know why I am so surprised!
And I just recently went to San Pedro Sula, Honduras, DOUBLE surprise!

I shall be stalk...er I mean following you now.
Disclaimer: I YELL a LOT!

Unknown said...

Pupusas! With loud music. Of course the loudness made the experience better. Glad you enjoyed it, despite the unbearable heat.

Elizabeth said...

How were the bananas? Can't say I've ever had them with Rum and Sunny D.