Monday, January 28, 2008

Good News From Honduras

I spoke with my buddy Humberto Del Arca today. He lives in La Ceiba, Honduras, on the Caribean coast. He told me good news about the pico-hydro generator we installed in the remote rural town of Pueblo Nuevo.

The last I had heard, something had gone wrong with the voltage regulation back in October, resulting in the magic smoke being let out of some of the battery charging equipment they had plugged in at the time. ¿Cómo se dice "poof" en Español?

Today I learned that the system had been repaired by a fellow we call "Chainsaw Guy" because we could never remember his real name and he had the biggest honkin' chainsaw I ever saw. He would use this chainsaw as a one-tool lumber mill. First he would fell trees with it, then he would stick it under his table with the blade poking up through a hole and use it like a table saw! He's using his chainsaw in the picture to build a framework for the sluiceway (water canal).

So the system is back online and this brings me great satisfaction! It shows that the villagers really want what we brought, that they have taken ownership of it, and they can take the initiative to repair it when it breaks! That's what we're hoping for! ¡Hasta mañana!

No comments: