Sunday, June 1, 2008

Road to Yoro (parta dos)


I hope you can read the map. If you click on it, you can see a larger version. On this Google Earth image I have sketched our road to Yoro. I have a hard time believing the scale because it took us so long to get there. If we could fly, it would be only 50 miles, but driving it was more like 150, and it took us about 6 hours. Half the roads were paved and good, the other half not paved, but still OK - much better than the outrageous road to Pueblo Nuevo. See another post for a story about that road.

Arriving in Yoro I found a town whose population I would guess to be 1500. It's big enough to have a bank, a "hospital" or clinic, a few hotels and several restaurants. I couldn't find Wal-Mart, but I'm sure it's there somewhere. The elevation Yoro is around 2500 feet, so it's a little cooler and dryer than La Ceiba, which, impossible as it sounds, may be even more humid than Houston.

At any rate, I tried to go to sleep with my windows open, but someone nearby was burning trash, and the smell of smoke was too strong. I closed the windows and yet, at dawn I was awakened by roosters. It seems to be my lot. I woke up with my lower back so sore and stiff from the long day in the truck, that I could hardly get up. I had to roll out of bed onto the floor and pull myself up with a shelf. I managed to shoot a little video out the window of my hotel room. If you wait for the end, you'll here my rooster friend.

[I'm having trouble uploading this video to YouTube from Honduras. I may have to do it once I get back to the States.]

Here is Yoro's main street. It feels much safer here than in La Ceiba, and this is confirmed to be true by Robin and Humberto, both. It's quaint. And it is near a string of villages we are considering for microhydro projects. No one we asked, however, knows of any gringos living in the entire city.

That night we went to dinner with a couple that Humberto knows. He could be very helpful to us in the project, since he owns a mechanic's shop and is knowledgable about electricity too. He and I were able to talk "voltas" together at dinner. The restaurant was nice, complete with street musicians. I ordered "Tacos Tex Mex" - no kidding. But they didn't seem very Tex Mex, and I should know, believe me.

No comments: