Thursday, August 28, 2008

Where Have I Bean?

Sorry for the delay since my last post. I have been starting a new semester and readjusting to the fast-paced, maxed-out cultural experience known as American middle class suburbia. I have found the readjustment to be a little difficult, frankly. There is a phenomenon among missionaries and others who work overseas called "reentry". When people come back home from living and working abroad, they sometimes have difficulty readjusting to the culture. It's similar to culture shock and is sometimes called reverse culture shock.


For me, this means I have been a little depressed. I am fatigued and tired and haven't had much to say. But last night The M said to me, "I wish you would blog". Even though she sees me and talks to me every day, she still wants to read my thoughts and feelings. I'm not sure, but I think she likes me.

----------------------------------------------

While in Honduras, I ate a lot of refried beans. I can't get enough of them. They grow a red bean (frijoles rojo) that is really superior to the pinto beans one gets in Mexican restaurants in the states. Don't get me wrong, I like those too. But the red beans in Central America are the best beans I have ever eaten.

Imagine how delighted I was to find a bumper sticker that said "Yo ♥ Los Frijoles, Honduras" at a gift shop in the airport!! I put it on my car, intentionally crooked, and it looks... well... kind of odd, but that's OK. I'm kind of odd too.

No comments: