Monday, January 25, 2010

The Domino Car

Last Saturday was the Cub Scout Pinewood Derby. I think this was my sixth one as a parent. Jono wanted to make a domino car this year. We cut it down using the band saw in the machine shop (we wore our safety glasses). Then he sanded it and spray painted it black. He used a paint pen to draw the dots. To help the paint dry he took a deep breath and blew on it. I caught him in mid-breath in this picture!

He got a medal that said "Judges Favorite" on the back. He is very proud of it and has been wearing it around the house for days. He slept with it the first night!


The weight limit is 5 ounces so we weighed it at home with a food scale. Apparently the scale isn't very accurate because at the official weigh-in we were very light. So in a burst of improvisation, I glued two house keys to the sides to bring it up nearer the weight limit. Jono thought it looked cool. What can I say?

He raced four races. On three of them he got second place, and on one he got first place. He didn't get to move on to the finals, however. The video below is of the race in which he got first place. As he was reading the time for each car, he slowly realizes he won. He was so excited! It makes me happy to watch him celebrate! You can hear him say "I got first! I got first!".


No comments: