Saturday, January 3, 2009

Squire, for my next joust I need an ambu-lance

The fainting happened again. I woke up with bad cramps and felt light headed and faint. Being wary from last time, I woke up The M and told her I felt dizzy. I thought I was going to be sick out of both ends (pardon the mental images here) so she got me a bucket and propped me on the pot. Then I fainted for about 20 seconds.

I woke up for a bit but fainted again, this time for a minute or so. She had trouble keeping me from falling (on account of my girth and stature) but managed to keep me from doing a face plant like last time. But as I was not showing signs of improvement, she called 911. I didn't faint anymore, but they took me out on a gurney to an ambulance in the street. I was still kinda fuzzy headed, but I can remember The M throwing a shirt over my legs since I was only wearing a tee shirt and underwear. (Thanks babe, you're like Moses's good son, what's his name.) I can remember The M was nervous looking and worried. It was my first ambulance ride.

Seven and a half hours in the ER later, they checked me into a room for overnight observation. They did several EKGs, lots of blood work, a CT scan (my first), and stuck me with many, many needles. They also decided I was too hairy and so pulled a few thousand hairs off my chest, legs, and arms, one piece of tape at a time. No extra cost.

In the end, they ruled out bowel obstruction, heart problems, alien abduction, and kidney stones. Looks like it's just good old vesovegal syncope, which means I fainted with nausea and intestinal cramps.

This runs in the family. My mother, grandmother, and two uncles all did this too. Perhaps I am becoming more susceptible to it with age. I'm not worried.

5 comments:

Thistlerose said...

gee, i wish you wouldn't do that...

any idea what's causing it?

--mb

Redlefty said...

Guessed I missed the first time! I have the same question as Thistlerose.

Orangehouse said...

Sorry the first version of this post got cut short. I posted it from my cell phone in the ER yesterday.

This is cool, technologically speaking, but only the first two sentences got through.

I rewrote it today, after being released from the hospital.

Anonymous said...

Bri-
Wow, did you add excitment not only to the Young household, but to the entire neighborhood as well. What a way to start off a Sat. morning! So glad you are ok. We're still praying on our corner!

CY

Missionaries in La Ceiba, Honduras said...

My dear friend did the face plant with this one as well. It's such a bummer, and so sorry about it! Just don't get sick darn it! But glad you are well.